Sunday, May 20, 2007

On to the next ....

One of my goals for this year is to read more. Something I LOVE - but unfortunately with two little girls, I have gotten horribly out of shape in doing.

I started in January - reading one book a week. I started with your traditional 'chick lit' (ie similar to the likes of Bridget Jones' Diary etc) and read about three humorous stories to get back in the habit. It wasn't long however, before I craved something a with a little more 'tooth' to it. After foraging through Amazon for ideas, I came across a list of novels that should keep me busy.

The library is my best friend, but apparently everyone else is in the same mood, because majority of those on my list are checked out. Argh. HOWEVER - American Pie was available last week .. and I am pleased to say, I enjoyed it very much!

One of my FAVORITE novels ever is Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. After reading it, I was drawn to her style of weaving multiple stories and characters into one. True to her style, midway through the novel, characters and stories began to combine leaving you with a rich sense of being upon completing. Since reading all of her books, I've been stumped to find anything like them. Until I picked up American Pie.

I wouldn't call Michael Lee West's style even remotely close to that of Klingsolver, however, West spins a tale full of rich community, charactersrs and history. I loved it. And .... I'm on to start another of her novels, She Flew The Coop.

I am a sucker for deep characters, rich community and a sense of history. I love stories that revolve around the south. And that, is where Michael Lee West has taken me.

I hesitate to 'review' the books I read. I can't always pinpoint my thoughts or feelings about them. However, if I close the cover after reading the last sentence feeling like I've said goodbye to an old friend, I know I've read a good book :)

No comments:

Udated Daily